Saturday, July 9, 2011

Ohio

There comes a time in your life when you have to admit you don't know shit...

This state is a comundrum (first and last time I've written that word and I'm pretty sure I spelled it wrong).

It's a conflux of cornfields and suburbia and neither knowing what to make of each other. My initial thoughts on the state were so far from the mark. First..it's beautiful...I can understand why my wife said, "You have no idea." Second...the people here are so down to earth, enough so that, that at least in Columbus, I remember another Columbus far to the south that bred the same home grown geniality.

It's gonna take awhile to get used to the weather. It's either pouring rain or the sun beats on you like an older sibling. No mountains or hills, really, just an expanse of of rich soil. And that is something the textbooks you read in school never tell you. But, Nancy did and she was right as usual.

In Ohio, there's Cleveland, Cinncinatti, Toledo and Akron. Then there's Columbus..this Cap city trying to figure out where it belongs. Burgeoning art scene, way too many festivals, and a growing sense of political importance are either defining or rending this town.

Nancy used to get annoyed at me for harping on her about being safe in D.C. Hate to say it, but I think the murder rate here may be on par with my old stomping grounds. I used to say that the drivers in the mid-west had to be better. Wrong again. With every growing city comes growing pains and this place isn't immune.

I guess i'm trying to say that this place is no better or worse than where I came from. Variations on livability will be discussed ad nauseum...I'm just glad I have the person to guide me through this.

No comments:

Post a Comment